Monday, January 16, 2012

Boots Bandanas & Fake Snow

When we arrived at Mountain Creek in NJ yesterday at 8:15am, we quickly suited up in the parking lot and were the first (well, almost the first) ones on the mountain. I vowed to always wake up at the crack of down and get there early for the rest of the season because its so worth it.A little coffee and a bagel and I'm good to go. I realized quickly that it is NOT like riding a bike, and I spent all day practicing. Sitting on the chairlift with my headphones in, getting ready to be dropped at the top, fake snow blowing in my face, was actually the most relaxed I've been in awhile. Riding down the mountain without falling on my ass was pretty great too!



his & hers snowboards ;) 

His is a Forum (ebay find) and mine is a Ride Solace (Craigslist) 
It's definitely an expensive sport but we are living proof that it can be done on a budget. 

1.) Buy used gear - check ebay and craigslist and of course read reviews to make sure your getting the right kind of board or your experience level. The girl I bought mine from was buying a new board good for park riding (off rails and jumps) and was ready for the next level up from a beginner board. It was the perfect purchase for me, because I was new to the sport, and if i ended up breaking a hip I wouldn't feel bad about how much I spent.

2.) Be on the lookout for lift ticket specials before snow is even a blip on your radar in October/November. I know thinking about winter when your not wearing a jacket out yet is a bit depressing, but if you start snowboarding you'll actually look forward to winter! (this has REALLY helped me!)

3.) Check out www.the-house.com for a huge selection, good prices and great customer service! I ordered my snowpants from there and when the pair I choose was out of stock, someone called me and talked me through selecting a similar pair.




 

More pictures to come next weekend! Maybe this time I'll bring out the real camera.


- Nina 

1 comment:

  1. How fun, you went snowboarding right? I went to Montana a few years ago and never got off the bunny slope but still had a blast. Best feeling to slide down the mountain.

    Have fun!

    xoxo
    FAKE EMPIRE
    www.shopfake.com

    ReplyDelete